At 18 October 2018
Plain English Foundation Pty Ltd (PEF/we/our/us) provides training, editing, evaluation and document design services. We collect and store personal information on users, including:
- visitors to the www.plainenglishfoundation.com website (our website/site).
Why do we collect your information?
We collect your information only to carry out our business and deliver our products and services for you.
We will not use, sell or disclose your information for any other purpose without your consent unless the law requires us to. We do not disclose your information to overseas recipients.
Generally, we will collect information from you for such things as:
- providing our services
- billing and verifying your account
- identifying your needs
- offering promotions
- improving, maintaining and managing our business operations
- meeting legal requirements.
How do we collect personal information?
We collect information through our website’s online enquiry form, cookies and the normal course of service delivery, like when you:
- email us
- phone us (we may store your phone number)
- give us a business card.
If we use any information collected from a third party or a publicly available source for direct marketing we comply with Australian Privacy Principle 7 (APP 7) – Direct marketing. This includes providing a simple means for ‘opting out’ of any future direct marketing.
We try to ensure that your information is accurate and up to date. Please tell us if you believe otherwise.
How do we keep your information secure?
We use generally accepted technology and security to hold and protect your information from unauthorised access, use, modification and disclosure by security mechanisms. This includes physical, network and computer security. We restrict access to people who legitimately need it as part of their PEF responsibilities, including:
- employees and contractors of PEF
We take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify your information when it's no longer needed.
How can you access your information?
Please contact us in writing, with proof of your identity, to access, update or delete your information. We’ll reply to your request in reasonable time. But we may charge a fee to retrieve your information.
We’ll take the necessary reasonable steps to update or delete your information.
How do we use your personal information?
We use your information only for the reasons we tell you when we collect it or as this policy outlines. Exceptions are where:
- you consent to it being used for another purpose
- the law authorises or requires the intended use
- it directly relates to the original reason for it being collected
- it is not practicable to get your consent for the intended use, in which case we will de-identify it first.
How do we store your information?
We store your information in Australia and the United States of America:
- on a secure computer storage facility
- in printed records.
- the type of browser and operating system you use
- your server’s IP address
- the previous site you visited
- the pages you access on our site
- the information you download.
We, or our service providers, may compile and analyse statistical data we collect to improve our services. The data used is de-identified so you are anonymous.
We do not store credit card details on our website. Please see our User terms for more about our payment process.
Please contact us if you:
- have any questions about this policy or how we use your personal information
- want to report a breach of this policy or the Australian Privacy Principles.